With the Elbe pilot on board at 06.30 in the morning we sailed up the river Elbe. I was a bit concerned about the weather as we had wind force six blowing in the open waters and the estuary and the weather forecast was not good either. However the further we sailed up the river the better it looked. The frontal system coming from the East was indeed going slower as forecast and the updated weather forecast indicated that it would not reach Kiel before 8 pm in the evening. If nothing was going to hamper our transit we should be in open waters by that time. So the weather cleared and cleared and by the time that we arrived at the 2nd pilot station, the sun was shining and it was nearly wind still. That was what we needed for the Canal passage. The 2nd pilot is only onboard for a short stretch, from the Elbe River bank into the first locks. As there is a current running of 3 to 4 knots in front of the canal entrance, you have to steer under an angle into the lock approach and that takes some good local knowledge of the river. As the current’s strength varies with the ebb and the flood and also from moment to moment and location to location, hence a special pilot. By 10 am we were in the locks and then this pilot left us and the canal pilot with two helmsmen joined. Continue reading
