After several months of vacation, it is time for a blog update. I was able to visit the Muncipal Archives in Rotterdam a few times and that resulted in a lot of information for the captains project and other things that eventually will appear on this website, apart from the daily blog.
1. My sailing dates, see Tab to the right: Notes for the Reader.
2. Photos of the following captains were added: Bak, Bakker G., Balen, Boerdam, Boschoff, Dekema, Gemert, Hollander, Dijk J.H, Jonkers, Kievit, Kooy, Kunst, Dekker L., Hemert, Maazen, Oldenburger, Roosendaal, Scale, Terpstra, Timmer, Timmermans, Werkhoven. More to follow.
3. A new listing of captains with updated first names (where known as of now) has been added as well, under the main title: Captains of the Past. About 40 new names were added. The total count has now passed the 170 of those who have passed away and will thus appear on this website. Some more will be added in the coming days.
4. Where known, I have updated the christian names of the captains and corrected the spelling of them. It seems that various publications from the past and even sometimes the HAL archives, have been quite creative in the spelling. Not that I am amazed, as those outside Holland also seldom get my last name right.
5. The following -full- bio’s are in preparation and will appear in due course on the website. Haagmans, Deddes, Van Deventer, Timmermans. With the help of the respective families I am gathering material and by the new year I hope to start uploading.
In my last blog I advised that I would be boarding the Statendam in mid october. This has now been brought forward to 29 September. Thus my blogging should start the next day again.